IHR adopts out healthy and rehabilitated horses into suitable and approved homes. Adoptions are intended to be for the life of the horse.
Adopters will be required to complete and sign our Adoption Contract and pay a small adoption fee (listed for each horse). Horses may not be resold, re-homed, or bred. All adoption fees collected go back to taking care of the rescued horses at IHR.
THE REQUIREMENTS: Our adoption policy has the following requirements. Please do not fill out an adoption inquiry form unless you meet these qualifications.
- Companion Equine (another horse or donkey). Horses are herd animals and it is best for them to have an equine companion. In order to adopt at IHR you must already have an equine, or be adopting two.
- At least one acre of clear cut pasture per equine with some shade available & including acceptable fencing. For example, if you will have 3 horses, you will need at least 3 acres.
- A 3 sided shed to block heavy winds/ bad weather
- Must own facility/property/barn where adopted equine will be residing. No renting, no boarding.
- Must have trailer and truck or other means to transport equine.
Should you no longer be able to care for the horse, it must be returned to Idaho Horse Rescue. All adoption fees are non-refundable.
If you are interested in adopting a horse from IHR, the first step of the process is to fill out an Adoption Inquiry Form.
All available horses at IHR are listed below. This page is updated regularly, so check back often for availability.